CCCN Art Show

CCCN Art Show

Submissions to the Christian Community Church North (CCCN) art show of 2021 by Dr. Penelope Miller (Penny).

Let there be light



Genesis 1:3 and John 1:12

This painting follows a deep Bible study outlined below. My understanding grew as I used visual symbols to connect the earth’s creation story to the birth of Jesus thru His Biblical description as The Light and finally to our path as believers.

Bible verses to study:

  • Genesis 1:3-4

    And God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. God saw that the light was good and He affirmed and sustained it; and God separated the light from the darkness.

  • 2 Corinthians 4:5-6

    For we do not preach ourselves, but Jesus Christ a Lord, and ourselves (merely) as your bondservants for Jesus’ sake. For God who said, “Let light shine our of darkness,” is the One who has sone in our hearts to give us the Light of the knowledge of the glory and majesty of God (clearly revealed) in the face of Christ.

  • Psalm 27:1

    The Lord is my light and my salvation – Whom shall I fear?

  • Exodus 13:21

    The presence of the Lord was going before them by day in a pillar (column) of cloud to lead them along the way, and in a pillar of fire by night to give them light, so that they could travel by night.

  • Psalm 78:14

    In the daytime He led them with a cloud and all night with a light of fire.

  • Proverbs 6:23

    For the commandment is a lamp and teaching (of the law) is light….

  • Isaiah 9:2

    The people who walk in (spiritual) darkness will see a great Light; Those who live in the dark land, the Light will shine on them.

From where shall my help come?

Oil painting


Psalms 121:1-2

I will lift up my eyes to the hills (of Jerusalem) – From where shall my help come? My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth.

This psalm is part of the Songs of Ascent sung by pilgrims walking on the roads up the hills to Jerusalem to celebrate the Feast of Tabernacles (one of the three required feasts each year).

As I was studying the geography around Jerusalem, I noticed that it is built on higher ground than the other towns, like Jericho. Once on the roads around the city, you notice that the city is raised up further. Hence, it made sense that the Psalmist lifted up his eyes looking for help. I painted both Solomon’s temple and David’s palace on opposite sides of the city. As I mediated on those sites of power, I thought of people trusting in government or even empty religious institutions hoping to find relief from their troubles. But the psalmist clearly states in verse two that all true help comes from God alone! Then he clearly identifies God is the One Who made the heaven and the earth. To Him alone deserve our worship and praise.

This painted night shows the last day of Sukkot, when the people march around the lighted temple with torches all night. This is a happy feast rejoicing in forgiveness and material blessings. The sight is majestic but only representing heaven.

In my 2015 Amplified Bible there is a reference in verse one to Jeremiah 3:22-23 “Return, O faithless sons, (says the Lord). I will heal your unfaithfulness” (They answer) “ Behold, we come to You. For You are the Lord our God. Truly, (the hope of our salvation from) the hill (where idols are worshiped) is a deception. A tumult and noisy multitude on the mountains; Truly in the Lord our God is the Salvation of Israel….” So, I painted in the clouds above the city the power of God responding to the believer asking for help. He is above all human efforts.

More study on the last day and most important of the Feast of Tabernacles can be found in John 7 when Jesus is teaching in the temple about the Holy Spirit flowing in rivers of living waters from believers


More stuff here… or not. You may purchase a copy of these paintings by contacting the Artist.